Friday, September 14, 2012

Canning Some of the Harvest.


This is a short post on some of my canning activity. I had some time available so I made a batch of Sweet Banana Pepper Mustard using a recipe from the internet. It's the same recipe I've been using for a few years and it always turns out great.





I ended up with a dozen pints of delicious sweet banana pepper mustard! I used about 100 sweet banana peppers to make this batch. That's more than the recipe calls for, but time has proven that we like it better this way.








Here is a pot of boiling fig jam that I was cooking following another online recipe. This was just under three pounds of figs that I was able to accumulate over a few days time from my tree. Next year I'm hoping to have several more fig trees established to make acquiring a sufficient quantity of figs much quicker. I have one tree already planted and it has been growing all year. I have three more small ones in gallon containers that are coming along very nicely.







All that work provided me with three half-pints and seven jelly jars of wonderful fig jam. I repeated something that I had read about when I was making my peach preserves. I read that if you boil the mixture a little longer than the recipe calls for, somehow it makes the fruit not float to the top of the jars. It worked fine for the peaches and as you can see in the half-pint jars, it worked for the fig jam also.

That concludes this short canning post for today. Thanks for visiting and I hope each of you has a wonderful day!

Happy Gardening!
Veggie PAK

2 comments:

  1. The banana pepper mustard looks wonderful. I looks like my hot pepper butter that I made. It is really good but we don't eat it fast enough.
    I love the figs, wish my trees would give me some. I am going to trim them this year and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can't eat peppers, but the pepper mustard sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete