Saturday, October 9, 2010

Harvesting the Fortex Snap Beans!



The seed packets say that it takes 75 days to maturity from planting the seed to harvest. I was blessed to be able to pick this 7 and 1/2 pounds and 5 and 1/2 pounds of organic Fortex snap beans just 57 days after I planted the seeds.








Just tilled for the last time before I put in the next rows of cool weather crops.








I'm going to fill out this row of leeks with the ones that I grew from seed in the flat shown on a previous post. They're only about three to four inches tall, but I want the roots to set before the cold weather comes. Last year, the leeks did fine through the cold weather and snows. I'm planning for the same this fall and winter.








I tilled the spaces between all my rows for weed control. At this time of year, not too many weeds will be growing back any time soon. The pumpkins in the center of the picture are doing very well, as opposed to the condition of the cucumbers between the green fence posts to the right. The recent heavy rains appear to have done them in.








The butter beans are as happy and as healthy as they could be. There are a large number of pods on the vines. I hope every one plumps out with delicious butter beans inside!









I couldn't ask for the snap beans to do any better than they are. On the third day after picking the ones shown in the front end of this post, I went back and picked another four pounds.








The butternut squash continues to grow nicely onto the fence material. It's taking less intervention than I thought it would to keep the vines interwoven with the fence material.








These small plants are Brussels sprouts, vates collards, and two rows of broccoli. Slow but steady wins the race with these veggies.

Well, that concludes this edition of my organic vegetable blog. I hope you enjoyed it. I also hope that it inspires some folks to give veggie gardening a try. How about you? Even if you don't start out being organic, get those cool weather veggies in the ground so your family can enjoy eating healthy vegetables. Plant some of whatever you like that you can still find available at your garden center. When I put my first collards in the ground, I did it right in the middle of my back yard lawn. I took a garden shovel, stuck it in the ground, rocked it forward and held it there, and stuck a collard plant in behind the shovel. Then I withdrew the shovel and stepped on the ground to the left and then to the right of the collard stalk. That was it! (Collards are hardy vegetables and don't need excessive care to grow well.) I mowed the grass between the rows that I had spaced wide enough, and enjoyed fresh collards from fall to spring. There is NO set way to grow vegetables. You can even plant two or three in your flower beds just to get a start at it. Give it a try. You won't regret it!

Have a great gardening day!

Until I figure out this "comment section" problem with Blogger, feel free to send your comments or questions to me via email at:

veggiegardenblogger@gmail.com

Thanks,

Veggie PAK

No comments:

Post a Comment